May is National Water Safety Month. Colorado Pool + Spa Scapes wishes to remind people to stay safe in and around water. Our friends at American Red Cross recommend that children and adults learn to swim so they at least achieve the skills of water competency: be able to enter the water, get a breath, stay afloat, change position, swim a distance and then get out of the water safely. Additional layers of protection are also recommended:
- Provide close and constant attention to children you are supervising in or near water.
- Fence pools and spas with adequate barriers, including four-sided fencing.
- Learn water survival skills.
- Children, inexperienced swimmers, and all boaters should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
- Always swim in a lifeguarded area.